Friday, September 11, 2009

A year without a Mexican

I literally salivated at the sight of a tubular, aluminum shape.

Paired with a side of chips and salsa, I know what that thick, juicy package holds. Warm, gooey tortilla, sharply seasoned chicken, black beans--oh sweet black beans-- guacamole and pico de gallo aplenty. When made right, it melts together in the most scrumptious way.

I used to hold somewhat of a record for my abilities to hoover a super burrito in less than 2 minutes. Thinking back, those were the times I was most fearful of obesity because I truly understood emotional eating. I yearned for that burrito and when I had it, I couldn't eat it fast enough. Now, as life is void of burritos, I've let my record slip away and I am all together in complete recovery from this edible addiction.

Nonetheless, my life up until Japan was always full of that Mexican sabor. Growing up in Texas and then navigating west to California, Mexico's cultural influence has definitely been a part of daily life. Maybe it's the craving for Mexican food I know I can never have that's spurring this nostalgia, but I certainly miss having them around.


1 comment:

Ashley said...

haha great pics. I'd miss a schweaty tan bandito too.