Monday, September 21, 2009

An unexpected delight

In traveling to Tottori prefecture, I was introduced to a surprisingly scrumptious cephalopod. Squid, or ika, has never tickled my fancy. It has this gooey, placenta-like film around it's body and mangy tentacles that droop off it's strangely shaped head. I imagine it as some kind of extraterrestrial marine creature that was sent to Earth to poison us with it's ink.

However, I succumbed to the ika that day at the fish market where it had me outnumbered. Raw and laid out on bloody ice, it's lifeless eyes lured me. My friend had me try squid ink squid cakes, which were delicious. Later, I must've felt the force of the extraterrestrial spirit and was inspired to try squid ink ice cream. Imagine chocolate and vanilla swirl and replace the chocolate with this charcoal grey color of creme.

The dried squid were somewhat creepier than the raw ones at the other end of the fish market. I refused a try for fear of my soul getting sucked into an alien body and transported into space, never to be found again. For now, I'll stick with the soft serve.

No comments: