Thursday, July 23, 2009

Matcha Magic

If someone were to ask me the infamous hypothetical question, "If you were stuck on a desert island, what would you bring?" My answer would unequivocally be green tea. 

Green tea makes the world go round, and in Japan, it is hands down the most popular drink around.

From powder to bottle, green tea (or matcha) is the essence of the Japanese diet. And there is certainly a reason for that. Adopted from China, green tea has been used medicinally for over 4,000 years. 
Headaches and depression are assuaged with a daily dose. And recent research indicates that a compound in green tea inhibits the growth of cancer cells as well as lowers cholesterol levels. And the real zinger is how helpful it is to dieters. One cup a day can expedite the fight over fat. Lest we forget it's powers against tooth decay. Like a true crime-stopper, you will be protected against bacteria that cause dental plaque as well as food poisoning. 

The "secret" of matcha is that it is replete with catechin polyphenols, in particular epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). This is a powerful anti-oxidant that ultimately kills cancer cells without harming healthy tissue and helps decrease the risk of abnormal blood clots by stabilizing a suitable balance between good and bad cholesterol. Magic you say? No, it's matcha! 

Even when I am raising my blood sugar levels and consequently my fat intake by reveling in a sweet, seductive candy bar, I'm eating ones with green tea to help lower my cholesterol and keep fighting that good fight against cancer, although I'm sure this is counterintuitive.
Popular American candy brands like Oreo and KitKat have embraced The Matcha and designed a foreign line of green tea-infused products. And of course, a city can't call itself a city unless there's a Starbucks (sarcasm heavily implied). There is a popular green tea frappuccino in all Japanese Starbucks that will never win my heart over the mocha, but at least it can brag it's the best for you. But, that certainly comes with a price $$.
In sum, I basically piss green tea. I plan to drink so much of it I will live as long as the rest of Japan. I can also stake the claim as most valued organ donor. My insides will be so pristine it will look like a sparkly green wonderland with matcha waterfalls and powder sprinkling from the skies onto all the healthy tea-loving children below. 

No comments: