Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Fat and Furry overtaken!

Since arriving in Japan, there has been a fat and furry sensory overload. Whether it's a bottle of water, chocolate, the signs around the train station and city, this country is inundated with cuteness. There may not be much of a purpose (or one that I understand), but I wholly embrace a culture that upholds charming little trinkets, icons, and mascots as an ageless standard of nation-wide adornment.
Ouch! This is a sign inside the elevator doors at the mall. It tugs at the heartstrings seeing that sad, symmetrical face with his stubbed fingers. Message accomplished. 

Illuminated cuteness in a storefront window. I was completely distracted by this portly swine to even notice what was actually being advertised. 

My apple juice is that much sweeter because of this fanciful dancing cute thing. He makes apples look exciting and I was exceptionally excited to drink it. 

A clever way to brighten an average sidewalk rest stop. It's like any other cold, uncomfortable granite bench, but with these two companions, it's inviting and friendly. Come sit next to me, friend! I'm here just for you. 
 
This little camera crew duo was excellent. I'm glad they've chosen the octopus to carry the boom mic. His meandrous arms can extend in and out of any frame. 
Surprise? Scared? Confusion? Who cares. It's freakin adorable and completely asinine as an image. What's going on? Why is that crocodile in some sort of old-fashioned tweed suit? What is this mysterious furry figure in the foreground? There are school children involved too. Ah, cute complexity. 
It's certainly not gauche to play with your food...as long as you can turn it into a tempura-flake fuzzy delight. This was in the window of a restaurant and maybe this cute novelty has yet to wear off for me, but I'd purchase food in precious little animal shapes any day. I just hope it wasn't a way to get me in the door and then dupe me into eating a plain old tempura patty with no tomato ears.

No comments: