Friday, July 31, 2009

Dig Deep #9: New Alarm Clock

I had almost wiped them clean from my memory...and was almost fooled by their song, the way a Siren lured the Argonaunts. In screeching unison, their high frequency buzzing led me to believe there was a fire truck down the street, out of view. But, then as I neared their perch, the sound was clearly coming from the trees. I still couldn't catch a glimpse, but I knew exactly what they were. Cicadas. I stopped for a moment to listen to their "song", which was about as melodic as nails grating on a chalkboard. 
They remind me of my childhood in Texas, when I used to collect their dried carcasses and line them up on the windowsill outside my sister's room. Their rust-colored shell even encases their eyes, leaving the skeleton of their oddly outstretched ocular placement. 

Notoriously pestilent although notably popular, cicadas time their chime like clockwork, and in insect alliance, begin singing exactly 20 minutes before I wake up. 

I guess it's better to rely on a natural means of awaking my from slumber albeit to a dissonant sound and symbol of my merry childhood shenanigans. 


No comments: