Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Class with a capital A

Double take: this is Japan. However, I am consciously drawn to this bridge every day on my morning runs because of it's similarities to the beloved Bay Bridge--represent. 
The Nishi-Akashi Bridge is known as the longest suspension bridge in the world, linking the main island of Japan to Awaji Island, which is a smaller island due south. That's about all I can comment on that for the time being. 

oh. wait...

There is a taco ferry that runs from Akashi port to Awaji. And not that kind of taco (I wish. I would give my left tit for some Mexican food right about now). Taco is Japanese for octopus and one of Akashi's most prized seafaring friends that serves not only as a fisherman's catch of the day, but also as one of many mascots of the Akashi area. 
This is Okura beach and the park adjacent. It runs parallel to what looks like man-made rock formations that locals love to scour for seashells and clams. 
Akashi Park is across town and offers a tranquil and scenic green-lit path home from the JR Akashi Station.
And come on, this hits too close to home. A little boy who brings his bunny to the park? I was nearly brought to tears of joy until the little brat kicked ol' Floppy. Then, I just wanted to deploy a rescue team of a nearby squirrel and myself to go in for attack of the inhumane bunny boy. 
Senior moments are many and there is never a dearth of seating. 
This is Akashi castle, a small remains of a castle that was constructed at the beginning of the 17th century. The town had originally been constructed around the castle and romantic views of this time period and location can be read in ancient Japanese poems and literature, such as The Tale of Genji.
I am enjoying the sweet subtleties of suburban living. 
Here she is in all her splendor. At least downtown. There are many unexplored spots by yours truly in the city, but this is probably the only place for some city-like action. 
Train station--my friend from Oakland pointed out how much it looks like MacArthur BART. 

And in a teeny tiny nutshell, this is Akashi. I describe it as the classy Oakland of the Far East. With Kobe (SF) in an arms reach, a neighborly feel and a glorious suspension bridge, my new home doesn't feel so far from home. 

No comments: