Friday, October 2, 2009

Umbrella Etiquette

Rain or shine, it's parasol time. In Japan, umbrellas or parasols are one of the most fashionable and widely used accessories. Whether it's shielding the smoldering summer sun or from a tsunami-style downpour, umbrellas are ubiquitous. And on crowded city sidewalks or even the less trodden ones, sometimes they pose as more of an obstacle than ornament.


It's been raining recently and so the union of umbrellas are in full effect. Of course, I am using one as well and attempting to awkwardly maneuver between these rotund, mobile awnings. But, there must be some sort of code to this sunshade labyrinth in which, of course, I am unaware. I am side stepping left and right, tilting my atypically black 'brelly between people, dumping rain droplets in droves across my shoulders. I feel for my own well-being as well as others, but I have little to no solution other than keeping pace with the person in front of me, never over-taking his lead, or just having my way with the sidewalk and barreling through with no concern for wetness. Alas, I just keep trekking through the puddles until a parasol-free zone presents itself.

I admire the parasols made for sunshade. They are often designed with dainty embroidery, sweet floral patters or delicate pastels. I also enjoy the rain umbrellas; those plastic ones that make pelting rain look like a pattern in itself. But, overall, the functionality of an umbrella is a nuisance. They basically add the dimensions of an obese person to the average Japanese. I guess we can consider heavy umbrella use as damage control for future generation McDonald's lovers and thank the corporation for finally posting some nutrition facts.

No comments: