Thursday, October 22, 2009

Consumerism taken to a new level of depressing

Ah, the Japanese Costco. Who really needed to know it actually existed? I deign to shop at a store I believe is single-handedly responsible for the obesity "epidemic" in America. Well, I guess we can't kid ourselves; we have many corporate fast food players to thank for putting their hands into our cookie jars and force feeding us crap by means of compounded advertising and brain warpage.

And the system doesn't rise and fall within it's own walls. It's spread to the far east...to a land where there isn't a word yet for "obesity", but enough Super Big potato chip bags to fulfill any consumer fantasy that they are shopping at an "authentically" American store. The only thing that makes sense about the exorbitantly excessive amount of food that can be packaged and purchased at once is the discount you're getting. In Japan, all the American brands are imported and therefore more expensive than what you would pay for half the amount in America.

There were sordid couples arguing over which package of 10 lb. processed nitrates to poison their biracial children with. I overheard other geeky foreigners explaining to their unassuming Japanese wives the benefits of frozen food and how getting a year's stockpile was such a useful idea. The insanity!

Of course, there were the generic Costco baked goods that made me squeamish thinking of how in both the US and Japan they can produce the same exact pastries in that industrial nightmare of a kitchen back there. I curse the day I put one of those blueberry muffins to my lips and swallowed--like the sweet, deluded venom of a viper, it will kill me quicker than the Kool Aid at Jonestown.
But, everyone in Japan has seemed to have taken a cultish oath to consumerism. And, like in the US, Costco is the zenith of that promise to a higher possession of your soulless patronage. They did have tortilla chips and salsa, and as previously mentioned, I'd give my left arm for any kind of Mexican food, even a knock off Pace Picante...G-d save me.

No comments: