Thursday, October 15, 2009

From the makeshift Japanese kitchen of an amateur foreign cook

Sometimes when I watch Top Chef, I pretend to know what they're talking about. All these intricate culinary processes, these unknown cuts of meat and ways to flavor it, these French cooking terms I thought I would understand by default after studying the language for 11 years. I guess the sheer confusion of it all is what makes it entertainment. However, on the real side of life, Japanese cooking has been proven to be not only simple, but deliciously healthy.


Bear in mind, the frame of reference I have is an American one, with no formal training in cooking other than from my mother's kitchen. So, of course, the simplest of dishes is intriguing to me. But, in an attempt to domesticate and assimilate to Japanese living, I'd like to put my makeshift Leopalace kitchen to good use.

From the few meals I've shared with Japanese friends at their home, I've picked up some basic cooking tips in order to prepare a simple, yet savory meal. Now, when I go to the store, I've at least taste-tested a few of the foods I would otherwise be clueless about.

First, a rice based meal. Any poultry, fish or meat can easily compliment the loved and ubiquitous starch staple. Plain, unseasoned, white short-grain rice is the popular choice. It is always served steamed and fresh. From this base, a curry or sweet and sour sauce can be added to the meat or fish to flavor. But, mostly, the Japanese prefer the plain, subtle taste of rice, which is good for every culinary occasion.

Another, more regionally-specific dish that is effortless and enjoyable is Akashiyaki. Known in the suburb of Kobe, Akashi, which is famous for its oceanside brimming with octopus, these bite-sized balls require only four ingredients: two types of flour, egg and octopus. The best part is actually frying the little balls up. A metal hot plate with little scoops for batter and octopus are oiled and heated and then with a flip of a chopstick, the lightly-fried golden balls can be adjusted to cook the other half. Then, with a bit of not-so-fancy shaping, these homemade delights look like they came from a professional shop. Soak them in a shallow bowl of bonito soup with finely chopped green onion and you have the Japanese version of Easy-bake Akashiyaki. Oishii!

No comments: